Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer. It is colorless, odorless, and it cannot be seen, tasted or smelled. Carbon monoxide is emitted when any kind of fuel is being burnt since it’s a bi product of gas. It is poisonous to us because carbon monoxide binds to the red blood cells over oxygen and starves our body of oxygen. Below is a bit more information on preventing carbon monoxide leaks in your home.
Carbon Monoxide in Your Home
There are many appliances in your home that create carbon monoxide. When these appliances get old or are not maintained you have the risk of getting carbon monoxide poisoning. Gas and propane powered furnaces, wood-burning stoves, non-electric space heaters and gas or propane stoves and ovens all create carbon monoxide. Your car creates carbon monoxide too, and the levels can build to dangerous levels if you run your car in a closed place like your garage. Never run a generator in your home. They give off carbon monoxide and should not be in your home.
Your furnace is another big home appliance that you use often that can emit deadly amounts of carbon monoxide if not maintained. Your furnace’s heat exchanger can crack with old age and leak out the carbon monoxide that it should be keeping inside. This is why it is important for you to have your furnace cleaned and checked each fall.
How Carbon Monoxide Can Impact Your Health
Many people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, which is completely preventable with proper care. There are some early warning symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning that you can see. They are close to the flu symptoms of headache, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, and more. If you start to feel any of these symptoms get to fresh air immediately and then to a doctor.
When caught early you can fix the issue easier. Infants, children, pets and elderly are much more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. Long term exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to permanent neurological and circulatory system damage or even worse, death. Getting your appliances checked each year can prevent accidental poisoning.
How Bartlett Can Help
Bartlett Heating and Air can help you avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in your home through regular furnace maintenance. The first test Bartlett Heating and Air does is the carbon monoxide test. We then follow with a 28-point full inspection and cleaning.
Keeping up with routine furnace maintenance, cleaning, and inspection is one of the most important things you can do to keep your family safe each year. You should also have carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and make sure they always have working batteries.
Make sure your chimney and flue are free of blockage, which can leak carbon monoxide into your home, and get your furnace maintained every year by a professional like the ones at Bartlett Heating and Air. Contact us today!